1047 Games began with the simple principle that people should have fun while making great games. Bucking convention and driven by a passion to create the ultimate gaming experience, Ian Proulx and Nicholas Bagamian founded 1047 Games in 2017 in their Stanford dorm room. Their love for arena shooters of the past drove them to create Splitgate, a unique sci-fi first-person shooter that adds portal guns to upend the genre.
What started as two computer science majors putting portals into a first-person shooter for a project demo has evolved into a VC-backed company which has raised more than $120MM in funding.
At 1047 Games, you’ll find a permanently remote, dedicated team of top-tier talent from some of the world’s biggest gaming and tech companies who share our founders’ vision. Grit, ingenuity, a desire to have fun, and a start up mentality define our crew. We are currently working on a brand new shooter in the Splitgate universe.
What We're Looking For:
- A expert designer: You love to take on difficult, seemingly impossible problems and dig in to find creative ways to solve them
- A hard worker: You love to put in the extra effort, because you enjoy your work and know the impact of finishing the tasks at hand
- Passion for gaming: You can recognize what separates exceptional games from the average ones. You understand the mindset of gamers which enables you to create and implement features that will further benefit the game
- Expanding design briefs into complete specifications, turning over every stone and considering every possibility until no questions remain, technical or otherwise.
- Develop player interaction systems (meta-game loop and end-game loop) that link combat and level designs (core loop) - including but not limited to social systems, reward systems, and challenge systems.
- Design, iterate, and polish game progression from a systems and monetization perspective (including systems such as items and reward loops)
- Take full ownership of game monetization, manage pricing of virtual goods, economy, and balancing of incentivized and purchased items in the game economy
- Take responsibility for the quality of game systems, analyze content of our current games to design and drive meaningful changes or improvements to game design and monetization concepts
- Provide clear feature documentation, diagrams, calculation models (spreadsheet modeling), analyses, wireframes, and/or prototypes
- Data entry and management of game database assets
- Tuning and balance of game data
- At least 5 years of professional experience in game design, with at least one shipped AAA title
- Clear, analytical thinker, with a proven ability to break gameplay design down into regular, reusable systems and articulate and document them
- Detail-oriented, thorough, and proactive - Seek information to solve issues from all areas of game development on your own
- Strong understanding of stat curves, player progression systems, and game play loops
- Ability to identify, break down, and define core mechanics as well as implement quickly without sacrificing quality
- Extreme attention to detail
- Ability to adapt and cope with change as the production of the project demands
- Must have the ability to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and design problem solving in engine
- Hands-on experience with Unreal
- Visual scripting experience (ie Blueprint, etc.) within proprietary and/or commercial game engines is preferred
- Desire to mentor and share experience/knowledge with others
- A strong foundation in math, analytics, economics, sociology, psychology or user research
- Well-considered documentation philosophies, or strategies to evangelize your designs
- Playing a variety of video game genres and titles.