Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Frontier is looking for an exceptional server engineers that are confident programming and developing infrastructure to join our team in Cambridge, UK to assist with the on-going and ever growing server-side development on game titles such as Elite Dangerous!
You will be working in an enthusiastic, agile environment and will be able to develop and expand your skills and abilities by working alongside our skilled and highly experienced developers.
- Develop high performance, high availability online services for games.
- Build and automate the management of software systems and database structures on public cloud services.
- Create data and infrastructure tools that allow non-technical users to manage online services.
- Have an understanding of how server systems can be effectively distributed
- Have a curious outlook, with an aptitude for learning and enjoying variety
- Communicate effectively with team members when working on game features in collaboration with the server team and other disciplines
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline e.g. Computer Science, Maths or Engineering.
- Experience developing server-based systems.
- Aptitude for administering open source infrastructure components such as databases, firewalls, load balancers and networks.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Desirable (Any one or two of these areas are desirable):
- Process automation and general Devops
- Linux systems administration
- Networking (TCP/UDP, Routing, NAT, Firewalls)
- Team & project management
- Tools for managing data changes and for testing & deploying code
- Programming in C++, C#, Java, Go or Rust
- Distributed database architectures
- Building gaming, e-commerce, social networking or search systems
- NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB, Redis or MongoDB
- Relational databases such as MySQL or SQL Server.
- Developing systems on Amazon Web Services or other cloud infrastructures
- Performance & reliability optimisation of distributed systems
- Maths (Stats or Mechanics), simulation or scientific programming
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Cambridge Remote /
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed