Game Engineering Manager
Here at Playco, we make games that bring the world closer together through play!
Our ideal teammates are thoughtful, low ego, and hardworking professionals who can both zoom into the details and zoom out to embrace the big picture. We are passionate makers and tinkerers, who are unafraid to experiment with a healthy disregard for constraints. We hope you'll enrich our team with your enthusiasm and passion, both for games and for life.
About this Role
Playco is seeking a Game Engineering Manager to help us build the world class social games that are played by millions of people every day on Facebook, Viber, Line and other messaging platforms. We are a growing distributed team that embraces remote work, and we also have offices in Mountain View and San Francisco, California, and Tokyo, Japan for people who prefer the office environment. If you want to join us to make great games on our groundbreaking technology and truly make an impact, then we want to talk to you!
This role is to lead the frontend games team of London, England based Goodboy studio. A self sufficient team focused on delivering cutting edge games on social platforms. As such the role would ideally require you to be in a European time zone.
As an Engineering Manager at Playco, you will play a pivotal role redefining the instant games industry. You will lead a small team of highly skilled engineers building high-performance, beautiful HTML5 games. Engineering managers at Playco are also very strong developers who design, review and write code daily.
- Lead a team of highly skilled engineers to deliver polished features on a consistent basis in a high pace environment. We deploy code multiple times a day to millions of users across the world.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the quality bar for Goodboy studio is met across all games.
- Design, review and write code -- this is a hands-on engineering role and you will be directly involved in the design and development of new features, writing and reviewing code.
- Provide mentorship and feedback to teammates to make your team the best version of itself. Empower and encourage everyone to give their best work.
- Collaborate with other leaders around the company to prioritize and execute against technology needs across game teams.
- Work with the head of our core technology engineering group.
- 5+ years of professional game development experience.
- A deep understanding of building modern HTML5 content.
- A strong aesthetic appreciation, and ability to deliver spectacular, technical visuals.
- Excellent code optimization skills.
- A portfolio bursting with live examples or your prowess
- Experience managing a team of engineers.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work reliably in a remote team environment.
- Attention to detail - any code that makes it into the product will affect millions of users immediately.
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithms, and data structures.
- Self starter, analytical and creative.
- Solid familiarity with analytics and A/B testing in mobile games.
- Great teammate with a positive demeanor.
- Experience writing clean, testable, high-quality code and crafting highly scalable systems in production.
- Familiarity with git, svn or other VCS.
- You must be capable of working in a fast-paced environment and multiple time zones.
- Pixi.js, Node.js, WebGL, WebGL2, GLSL Shaders, WebSocket.
- Experience Building browser Games.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Expert knowledge of NodeJS and TypeScript.
- Experience in game development, gaming services, and shipped titles.
Playco is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, disability, genetic information, age, military service, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We believe that our differences are our strength and we know that diversity builds a better team.
Apply for this job
Location: Remote (EMEA)
Date posted: 2022-01-20