JOB TITLE: Content Designer
What We Need:
Firaxis Games is seeking a talented and inspired designer to join our award-winning development team. We are looking for someone with the elusive ability to “find the fun”. Firaxis is a highly collaborative and iterative environment, therefore we are looking for someone who can communicate easily and effectively with fellow coders, designers and artists.
What You Will Do:
- Come up with original ideas to fill out gameplay content for one of our games.
- Work on new game ideas, work with other game designers on improving/finalizing their ideas.
- Identify, offer feedback/solutions, and iterate on existing game design shortcomings.
- Work closely with designers, artists and engineers to provide technical, creative, and scheduling feedback.
- Clearly communicate updates and concerns to their manager.
- Transform high-level ideas into accurate, intelligible, and quantified specifications.
- Routinely collect feedback from user-testing, the development team and design management.
- Identify solutions to expressed problems that won't negatively impact other systems or mechanics.
- Good instincts for game design and fun, and innovative gameplay.
- Self-motivated and passionate about making games.
- Must be flexible with schedule changes and shifting timetables.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- 3+ years industry experience.
- Familiarity with the Civilization series.
- Must be able to be onsite at the Firaxis main studio in Sparks, Maryland 3 days a week.
- Experience designing/modding video games in the strategy genre or designing board/tabletop games a strong plus.
- Knowledge and experience with C/C++ or a scripting language a plus.
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
Do you find yourself frequently uttering the phrase “One more Turn” or “Hello Commander”?
Do Hexagons, Action Points, Abilities, or Game Balance make your heart skip a beat?
If you have the desire and ability to design the next generation of great strategic and tactical game systems, you will be a great fit for our team.
Who We Are:
MAKE LIFE EPIC
Founded in 1996, Firaxis Games is a world-renowned game development studio with an unwavering mission to “build games that stand the test of time”. The name Firaxis, a fusion of “fiery” and “axis,” communicates the company’s dynamic development process that results in the creation of ground breaking titles with unparalleled gameplay delivered to gamers around the world. Under the creative direction of industry legend Sid Meier, Firaxis has released dozens of hit games on multiple platforms and is recognized as an industry leader in game development.
Let gameplay drive decision making
Deliver great work for the studio, the team & yourself
Maintain an environment where people are happy
Find opportunities to contribute and collaborate
Put effort where it pays off the most
Named World’s #1 Developer of the Year by Game Informer Magazine in 2012, Firaxis is very proud of its legacy of developing award winning titles. We have won multiple BAFTAs, D.I.C.E Awards, Game of the Year titles, and category awards (from “Best Strategy Game” to “Best PC Game”) across our products.
Additionally, our company was also featured in SmartCEO’s “Best-Run Book” for company culture and praised for a focus on “family, fun and flexibility.” Firaxis was also named a finalist in SmartCEO’s Healthiest Company Awards for 2016.
Firaxis Games prides itself on maintaining a quality of life inside and outside the studio – when our team members are happy and healthy, creativity can flourish. We offer boot camp fitness and yoga classes at the office, a free gym with shower, regularly catered lunches and breakfasts, biweekly Friday Happy Hours, company events and parties, and a “FunZone” complete with billiards, foosball, video games, and tabletop gaming space. We are also a philanthropic studio and offer employees the chance to volunteer with local charities and nonprofits throughout the year.
Fulltime employees can also take advantage of Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401K retirement savings, a wellbeing initiative with the opportunity to earn cash rewards, an Employee Assistance Program, and paid time off and paid holidays.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use firaxis.com, 2K.com, and hangar13games.com accounts.
Location: United States
Country: United States