Experienced/Senior Game Designer - Character Team - Sonic Mobile F2P
HARDlight are looking for a Game Designer for our new Character Team working on Sonic Forces.
As the key designer integrating new characters in the game, you’ll be responsible for creating power-up abilities, balancing the roster of characters and introducing new systems that build on the existing acquisition mechanics in the game.
The right person for the role needs to be excited to shape the future of mobile F2P monetisation in a way that feels rewarding and fair to our players, and allows the game to continually grow and improve.
The team is highly skilled, autonomous, fast paced and agile, they collaborate well and respect each other. To work well with the team, the Game Designer must be an active collaborator willing to work closely with a diverse, cross discipline group to develop and iterate ideas for features and improvements.
For a Game Designer to excel in the role, they must be inspired to continually improve an existing product that resonates with 100’s of millions of players.
- Creation of character feature specifications that meet both creative and business goals.
- Balance a large roster of existing and new characters and ensure a constantly shifting character meta.
- Conveying and clarifying elements of design via written, visual and verbal forms of communication.
- Guiding and supporting various teams during feature implementation.
- Able to work independently to add or tune character features and data.
- Gathering and using feedback, both qualitive and quantitative, to implement improvements.
- Championing the quality of character features and systems.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Ideally previous experience balancing a character based competitive game in the F2P space.
- Excellent communication skills with a desire and ability to work well with others.
- Experience designing features for mobile free to play games.
- Comfortable working with the tools of the trade: level editors, version control, spreadsheets, scripting, analytics, scheduling software, etc.
- A logical thinker and problem solver with a positive, proactive approach to games development.
- A passion for games of all types including mobile gaming.
- Development experience in Unity is not essential but would help you hit the ground running.
Why work at HARDlight?
- You'll have access to a comprehensive benefits package that includes ULEV car salary sacrifice, life assurance, income protection, private healthcare & dental insurance schemes and an enhanced contributory pension scheme
- We offer competitive salaries and a fantastic bonus scheme so that you can stay motivated and focused on making HARDlight the best it can be
- For gaming buffs, we offer free SEGA games on Steam and a home technology scheme
- Fitness fanatics will love our discounted gym membership and ride-to-work scheme. You can find your zen with weekly yoga classes as well as in-house massage therapy
- We pride ourselves on having flexible working hours to help work fit around you
- The opportunity to be a large part of a small team, developing innovative titles with a huge SEGA back catalogue
- Based in the ‘Heart of England' in stunning historic Royal Leamington Spa, with great connections to London & Birmingham
- We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
We are taking a hybrid working approach and you will be expected to work 3 days in the office with the option of 2 days out of the office.
Location: Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
Country: United Kingdom