Are you an artist with a broad range of skills, with a passion for creating amazing game experiences? Are you looking for a new opportunity in a friendly, respectful and exciting studio? Auroch Digital is looking for artists to help deliver a broad range of games, from retro-inspired action games to stylized, top-down strategy & management games.
Auroch are part of the Sumo Group of companies, originally established in 2010 and with an extensive catalogue, including Mars Horizon and Dark Future: Blood Red States. We have an exciting stable of licensed and independent IP games in development including our upcoming beer brewing hobby game Brewmaster. Our diverse, friendly, and enthusiastic team are based in the centre of Bristol, but we are open to remote working for the right candidate. We have a company ethos that strongly values work-life balance and supporting our people to grow. We want our people to have a positive influence on other team members and a passion to support others.
As an Environment artist, you’ll have experienced one or more game production cycles in the environment art team. You have a striking portfolio demonstrating creative flair, attention to detail, and up-to-date knowledge of all the skills and tools of the trade such as modelling and high-res sculpting, PBR texture & material creation, with a focus on final in-engine presentation.
The successful candidate will work on a retro-inspired action game based on a major IP, with opportunities to lead the environment art for large-scale original IPs in the future.
- Model & texture stylized, modular environment kits using reference material and illustrations
- Creation of final environmental art using environment kits created by yourself and others
- Modelling additional hard-surface & organic hero props for use in the environment as needed
- Iterating on level art and layout with designers and other environments via prototyping and feedback to improve visual quality and gameplay
- Ensuring all environment assets follow the given artistic direction and technical requirements
- Participate in feedback and planning sessions with the art team
- Estimate task times and help prioritize environment art tasks
- Keeping up to date with the latest environment art trends and techniques and bringing this knowledge to the team.
- Experience as an environment artist on commercial game projects
- A portfolio demonstration experience in creating high quality modular environment kits and environment layouts in Unreal Engine 4 or Unity, with a focus on in-engine presentation and gameplay.
- Excellent knowledge of 3DS Max and general 3D art skills, as well as strong artistic fundamentals as applied to environment art
- Ability to sculpt environment props in ZBrush or similar programs
- Excellent understanding of PBR workflows and able to author textures and material using Substance Designer, Painter, and Photoshop.
- A strong sense of aesthetics, quality and style, with an interest to adapt to different art styles based on the project
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Strong ability to self-direct and problem solve as needed; proactive in seeking feedback and support
- Able to provide feedback to colleagues in a positive, supporting and constructive manner
- Technical art skills as applied to environment art, such as shader and material creation in Unity Shader Graph / UE4 Material Editor
- Other environment art adjacent skills, such as VFX, Lighting
- Light scripting skills to support level designers with simple tasks
· We don’t agree with using crunch (here's our take on it)
· We won’t get in the way of you working on your own indie dev projects in your own time
· Remote, office based or hybrid are all totally fine working options
· 27 days holiday total (including your Birthday off!) which increases for long term service
- The option to take three months unpaid sabbatical leave after three years of service
· Competitive salary
- Bonus scheme
· Flexible working
· Pensions contribution
- Dental cover
- Life insurance
- Income protection
- A pot of money to spend in Uchoose on extra benefits like health insurance, adding family members etc.
· Ongoing support for training and career development, including 5 learning days a year, 1 of which can be
used for volunteering
Your application should include a short covering letter explaining a little about your previous experience and why you think you would be a good fit for the role, and a current CV with relevant work history. Though not required, if you have a portfolio or examples of previous work please also include them with your application.
Apply for this job
Location: Auroch Digital, Bristol
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed