Frontier, an independent developer and publisher of video games, is seeking an Engineering Manager to join and build a growing team of developers within their Shared Technology Group (STG). The STG is responsible for developing and maintaining their in-house engine Cobra and advising game teams on technical problems. The Engineering Manager will lead a group of programmers, supervise and coordinate the planning and delivery of engine features, promote cross-discipline collaboration, and identify and resolve skill and resource gaps within the team. The ideal candidate should have excellent communication skills, proven people management and leadership skills, and a programming background in PC and/or console game development. Frontier offers a competitive salary and benefits package, a creative and collaborative environment, and a focus on well-being.
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
About the role
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join and build a growing team of
developers within our Shared Technology Group (STG). The STG is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining our in-house engine Cobra. They also serve as a group of domain experts to advise game teams on technical problems, best practice and use of Cobra for their games.
In your role you will collaborate with Technical Leads, fellow Engineering Managers, a range of Game Teams and other stakeholders to ensure the team prioritises and delivers features to the STG and various Game Teams. You will make valuable contributions to the team by leading small diverse multi-discipline feature teams and creating technical plans to deliver each feature.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team of skilled developers working together to build and maintain a AAA game engine that sits at the core of Frontier’s games.
- Line manage and lead a group of talented and passionate programmers with diverse skillsets, domain knowledge and experience. This will include team development, recruitment, performance management, coaching and mentoring.
- Supervise and coordinate the planning and delivery of engine features.
- Promote and support cross-discipline collaboration.
- Oversee the development and creation of internal documentation, best standards and practices.
- Develop and improve practices like code reviews and knowledge sharing.
- Identify and resolve skill and resource gaps within the team with a view to delivering the STG’s vision.
- Liaise with game teams and core technology in regards to feature requests and deliveries.
- Use your technical programming skills and experience to help the team solve complex problems.
- Excellent communication skills, which will enable you to motivate your team and get your views and opinions across effectively.
- Proven people management and leadership skills with a passion for developing individuals and teams.
- A programming background in PC and/or console game development is desirable.
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take important decisions.
- Experience with identifying and developing compromises for stakeholders with differing needs.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Cambridge Hybrid /
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-04-11