Engineering Manager (Modelling & Simulation), Defence
Your mission is to lead and grow our new modelling components team within our decision science product development division. This role could be considered similar to a data science manager.
You'd be leading a team of applied scientists who use diverse techniques across data science, machine learning, agent-based modelling, engineering and research. They are responsible for the development of scientific models that describe and animate the synthetic environments for our "Synthetic Environment Starter Pack". These models will focus on creating representative behavioural models of civilians in large scale simulations, covering areas such as geographic movement, communication (social networks) and demographic attributes.
Areas for Impact
- You will run the day to day operations of the modelling components team, including line management and task allocation.
- Developing a team of top-class applied scientists, contributing to the overall vision, strategic direction and delivery management.
- Growing a team of successful engineers through collaborative development planning, coaching, and empowerment through strategic goals.
- You will work with our Project Management teams to understand customer requirements so that you can develop processes and artefacts that best suit their needs.
- Aligning technical efforts across projects for applied scientists, ensuring parallel efforts are pulled together.
- You will work alongside our commercial teams to effectively evaluate opportunities from project conception that best suit our needs and those of our customers
- You will collaborate with other EMs and Senior SWEs/Principals to determine the strategic direction and long-term viability of your software architecture, raising and tracking dependencies both from a business and technology standpoint.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You're an experienced manager with a clear focus on managing the development and growth of applied scientists. You ascribe to the idea of servant-leadership and are motivated by the success of your teams.
- You have experience leading a customer-focused technical team, with an understanding of delivering engineering work to contractual requirements.
- Previously, you have led high-performing, happy teams building complex modern technology, ideally with a modelling and simulation focus.
- You consistently bring strong, data-driven business and technical judgment to decisions and clearly communicate trade offs and decisions to your team.
- You are an empathetic communicator who can navigate tricky situations, having tough conversations where necessary, and being objective and structured in your approach to all personnel matters.
- You’re considerate, humble, and a strong believer in teamwork.
Nb: While we think the above experience could be important, we can’t predict the future and so we’re keen to hear from applicants that believe they have valuable experience. If you identify with the team & mission, but not all of the suggestions, then please still apply
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Life at Improbable
Diversity, inclusion & belonging
Apply for this job
Date posted: 2022-01-20