Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
About CID Engineering
The Continuous Integration and Deployment Engineering Team are responsible for supporting multiple teams to test and deploy their software quickly and reliably. Working closely with Game, QA and other teams across Frontier. CID is a fast paced, growing team looking to expand and improve the services they provide throughout the organisation.
Purpose of the role
As the Engineering Manager on the CID team you will take a leading role in managing both the CID team members and the services they provide to Frontier. You’ll work with a diverse team of engineers with differing levels of experience and domain knowledge which will require your support, guidance and leadership.
This is an excellent opportunity for applicants who have a technical/managerial background and are looking to challenge themselves in a leadership role at Frontier. This role requires a keen eye for detail, with the ability to respond quickly and effectively to complex technical challenges from multiple projects.
A key part of this role is the collaboration with different leadership teams across the company to identify areas of support and improvement. Along with your technical team, you will create a plan which outlines how the team expects to deliver these services balancing the priorities of the different stakeholders.
To be successful in this role you’ll need to be passionate about improvement, efficiency and communication. You will manage and balance planned work alongside ad hoc time critical requests and support.
- Line manage and guide a group of talented and passionate engineers with diverse skillsets and experience. This will include team development, recruitment, performance management, coaching and mentoring.
- Supervise and coordinate the planning and delivery of work for the CID Engineering team.
- Promote and support cross team collaboration.
- Oversee the development and creation of internal documentation, best standards and practices.
- Develop and improve practices like code reviews, documentation and knowledge sharing.
- Identify and resolve skill and resource gaps within the team with a view to delivering high quality CID services.
- Excellent communication skills, which will enable you to motivate your team and get your views and opinions across effectively.
- Proven people management and leadership skills with a passion for developing individuals and teams.
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take important decisions.
- Experience with identifying and developing compromises for stakeholders with differing needs.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Deployment systems such as TeamCity, Buildbot and Jenkins.
- Experience with the concepts and best practices of Dev-Ops development.
- A programming background in PC and/or console game development.
- Knowledge of programming language(s) such as C++, C# or Python.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Cambridge Hybrid /
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-03-17