The Director of IT role at Frontier is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious IT leader to join an established yet growing company and make an important contribution to the delivery of their ambitious strategy. The role will involve leading the development and implementation of IT, Business Systems and Information Security, and ensuring the plan remains fit for purpose as the company continues to grow. The successful candidate will also be responsible for overseeing the roadmap and delivery of all security, network, server and infrastructure issues and development, as well as managing an IT budget and building relationships with vendors. The ideal candidate will have proven experience as a Director of IT or similar IT leadership role, a strong track record as an IT leader, and experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications. Frontier offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Purpose of the role
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer in this newly created role, the Director of IT will lead on all aspects of a complex and strategically important IT function for our talented teams of highly technical game developers and publishing professionals. You’ll also work as a key part of the senior management team driving IT strategy and commercial development in our growing company (we’re currently 830 people in UK and Canada).
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious IT leader to join an established yet growing company and make an important contribution to the delivery of our ambitious strategy.
- Lead the development and implementation of IT, Business Systems and Information Security, and ensure the plan remains fit for purpose as the company continues to grow.
- Drive operational excellence within the IT team to ensure that the team is consistently delivering a first class service to its internal customers and stakeholders, including our newly acquired studio in Canada (Complex Games)
- Lead on the IT integration plan for Complex Games (currently 20 people but expected to grow) and any potential future acquisitions
- Lead on the continuous development of appropriate policies, processes and practices to support the business as we continue to grow and evolve
- Oversee, and actively steer the IT delivery change management program
- Work closely with key stakeholders to understand the business requirements of their departments and to evaluate and deliver their technology needs
- Leadership and development of IT teams, consisting of Infrastructure, Business Software and Services, InfoSec, End-user Deployment and Desktop Support Helpdesk
- Provide executive summary of analysis, requirements, progress and monitoring to the Chief Operating Officer
- Accountable for overseeing the roadmap and delivery of all security, network, server and infrastructure issues and development
- Work with the IT Support Manager to continuously improve the support function for internal issues
- Work with procurement to build relationships with vendors and create cost-efficient contracts
- Overall accountability for a substantial IT budget, purchasing technological equipment and software for current and future business needs in an efficient and cost-effective way
- Proven experience as a Director of IT or similar IT leadership role ideally within a similar tech environment
- Strong track record as an IT leader who has grown and developed teams
- Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications
- Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software), networks etc.
- Solid understanding of server and network requirements for a complex software development environment including experience of managing an on-premise server infrastructure
- Ability to identify and spec appropriate Desktop and end-user equipment, balancing performance, cost and reliability.
- Experience in planning and managing an IT budget, balancing business requirements with cost savings
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills with both external vendors and internal stakeholders up to C-Level
- Ability to work under-pressure in a fast-paced environment and deliver on time and to budget
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Cambridge Hybrid /
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-03-01