At Improbable, we believe that the next revolution in entertainment and society will come from massive virtual worlds. They will create new economies and opportunities globally, changing not just how we play, but how we work and relate to each other. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to build the next generation of technologies for online multi-user games and simulations. As part of that, we are launching a series of ground breaking titles to players around the world.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
The ways that we develop, test, iterate and deliver our games at Improbable are critical to our success. We need to create or adapt solutions that are flexible enough to accommodate a large variety of games, technologies, teams and approaches. The solutions we apply must also reduce duplicated effort through sharing and re-use. It’s a fine line to walk, and requires experience, pragmatism and empathy. Our ultimate goal is to industrialize our game development tools and processes, allowing us to experiment and deliver at massive scale.
As a senior DevOps engineer, you will be responsible for learning, building, teaching and researching the foundations of our internal studios’ development toolkits. You will deliver build systems, in-engine tooling, infrastructure components, automated testing solutions, development processes and alerting and reporting. Our central DevOps function is a resource for our internal studios, providing them the means to request and compose what they need to successfully develop their games.
Areas for impact
- You will be a key senior member of the build engineering team
- Your role is to help design and build a world class build system to help deliver key project goals
- You care about the software you create and value the quality of build processes and tools over rapid development
- You strive to collaborate with other developers to find elegant solutions, and understand how to gather requirements for the systems you create
- You are delivery focused and push to set the bar for how we implement features on the project
- As a Senior Build Engineer you will be expected to drive the development of our technology and build processes forward to improve the delivery of quality content for the game.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You have experience as a Build Engineer working end-to-end on projects with an understanding of the entire process
- You have an excellent understanding of build engineering practices such as CI, source control, bug tracking, automated testing etc.
- You’re excellent in self-managing workloads through Jira or another tracking methodology
- You can identify issues and propose solutions that improve the software development process build pipeline
- You’re able to choose the best tool for the job and keep up with the industry in having a good awareness of modern build tools
- You have 3+ years experience in build engineering
- Ideally you have experience with Unreal Engine 4 (preferable)
- You may have experience with any popular cloud hosting provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- You’re able to create tutorials, guides or other important documentation for more junior staff members
- You’re able to mentor more junior members of the software team
- You’re skilled in one or more common scripting languages (Python, Bash, Powershell, etc).
NB. While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Life at Improbable
Diversity, inclusion & belonging
Apply for this job
Location: Remote - UK
Date posted: 2022-01-20