Do you enjoy tight, intrinsically fun moment to moment action gameplay? Do you find yourself daydreaming of the dozens of ways you can overcome the hardest combat puzzles in Destiny? Do you think of ways to solve problems systemically to make as broad of an impact as possible?
Bungie Studios is looking for an experienced and passionate design lead with a strong eye towards FPS action combat to lead multidisciplinary teams working on the content, systems, and tools that makes our action combat first-class.
As the Combat Systems Area Lead, you will work closely with the Creative Director and lead teams of designers, artists, engineers, and testers responsible for crafting, maintaining, and upgrading our Destiny action game. You will ensure we are upholding our first-class action game while leading teams looking for opportunities to upgrade existing systems and delight players with new ways to express themselves or challenge them in Destiny. You will ensure that your area collaborates well with peers and other teams to improve the action game throughout Destiny. You will mentor and guide your area to ensure their work creates amazing player experiences and advances their craft.
During these uncertain times and rapidly changing environment surrounding COVID-19, all positions at Bungie are subject to onboarding and working virtually/remotely.
You are the leader of multiple interdisciplinary teams who create a compelling action game ecosystem in Destiny. You will be accountable for:
- Coordinating communication between the small teams responsible for Destiny’s combat systems and the rest of the organization
- Setting high-level design direction for these teams and proposing upgrades to existing content and systems
- Translating direction from game directors into actionable goals for the Combat Systems area to implement
- Evaluating and committing to features or updates proposed by the teams
- Providing ongoing feedback and support to the work being done by Gameplay, Sandbox Systems & Workflow, Combatants, AI Systems, and Bosses small teams
- Communicating the progress and relative importance of these features upward to game directors
- Evaluating and committing to live-game updates to gameplay balance and tuning
- Experience successfully leading multiple interdisciplinary teams through several game development cycleS
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing peer and junior designers
- Passion for interdisciplinary collaboration and effective compromise
- Proven ability to interpret and achieve high-level experience goals set by game directors
- Outstanding ability to balance asks for short-term problems alongside long-term goals
- Commitment to creating a positive work environment
- Self-motivated with an ability to inspire and motivate your team
- Extensive knowledge of player character and AI combat systems for first person shooter games
- In-depth understanding of game engines, technology, and the game development process
- Experience with many types of action games (FPS, 3rd person, melee combat, ARPG, etc.) and online play (cooperative, competitive, shooter, MMO, etc.)
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Excellent math skills, great game feel sense, and systems design rigor
- Passion for the Destiny action game and a broad understanding of all of Destiny’s different combat experiences
- People management experience
- Discipline-leadership experience
- Experience developing live-service games
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed