Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
As the CFX Lead, you will assist the CFX Supervisor and lead a team of character simulation artists, creating character hairstyles, hair, cloth and skin simulation rigs and shot execution of the same. Work with the members of the team to provide balanced solutions to both technical and aesthetic related issues.
- Keep up on current artistic methodologies and on technology trends and tools that best suit the production and the company, in the development of a stronger creative and technical environment.
- Work within art direction guidelines.
- At least one of the following areas of expertise, and interest in learning the others: creating fur, hair, shading/lookdev and hair simulation rigs; creating cloth simulation rigs; creating muscle, flesh, skin and fat simulation rigs; creating high quality cloth, hair and skin simulations & correctives for shot work in production.
- Turn creative requests into implementable character solutions.
- Develop generalized tools to help enhance the character pipeline.
- Debug technical issues with character rigs.
- Document character workflow and ensure team receives appropriate training.
- Lead the team providing them with support, guidance and instruction in areas that contribute towards their artistic and professional growth, making sure all the assets follow the quality standards and artistic direction and that achieves the deadlines.
- Follows Supervisor’s guidance.
- Balance issues of quality, time and resources to deliver high quality, efficient solutions for the character effects work in the movie.
- Communicate with all related departments (production, rigging, animation, shading, etc) over the technical needs of CFX.
- Assign the work to each artist, according to his or her skills.
- Provide feedback to CFX artists on shots and request fixes.
- Mentor and Lead by example; demonstrates, communicates and exemplifies clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication and professionalism to the team.
- 5+ years of professional experience.
- At least 1 year of experience as Lead, leading diverse teams of artists of different backgrounds and abilities.
- Must have a good understanding of the processes of character simulation, anatomy, physics, geometry workflows.
- Ability to consistently produce high quality simulations and delivering on schedule
- Strong knowledge of Maya.
- Depth of knowledge in cloth simulation (Ncloth, Syflex, Qualoth, Marvelous Designer).
- Depth of knowledge in hair tools (Yeti, Shave and Haircut, Maya Hair, Houdini).
- Knowledge of Maya API, Python or C/C++ programming a plus.
- Knowledge of Houdini, Marvelous Designer (asset).
- Strong proficiency in English language.
- Spanish knowledge is a plus.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for this job
Location: Madrid, Spain
Date posted: 2022-01-20