Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We're looking for Web Server Developers to join our Online Services team and help develop our growing portfolio of online game services, web sites, and corporate information applications, hosted on public cloud services and the office intranet. The successful applicants would work in an enthusiastic, agile environment across a range of new and existing game and corporate projects, and will be able to expand their skills and experience by working with a variety of technologies, languages, applications, servers and databases.
Prior experience of being employed in the games industry is not necessary, although it will help to have experience of playing games with online components. We are looking for applicants that can demonstrate they are keen to learn, develop, code and maintain systems.
This role offers a great chance to explore a variety of technologies and server software to solve different problems, with lots of opportunities to work with different scales of server systems and grow into new areas of responsibility.
- Help develop high performance, high availability websites and applications to support our growing catalogue of online games
- Efficiently develop easy to use intranet applications to help organise the studio's information and make it available to our colleagues and partners
- Develop, administer and maintain server tasks using public cloud services
- Help debug and maintain existing distributed server systems
- Self motivated and inquisitive
- Enjoys building things and taking responsibility for them
- Work collaboratively with the Online team and other stakeholders to deliver high quality websites, tools and associated systems
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members
- Excellent attention to detail
- A quick learner who is willing to adapt to new tools and frameworks.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree qualified in a relevant numerate discipline such as Computer Science, Maths, Engineering or a strong portfolio of project work
- Able to program
- Experience using relational database technologies such as SQL
- Good documentation skills Proficient in Linux and Windows environments
- Experience using version control software such as Git or SVN
- Containerized Services
- Working with cloud-based systems such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform
- Recent experience with modern web frameworks such as Slim, Drupal, Symfony, React or Laravel
- Working with public and private RESTful API’s
- NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB, Redis or MongoDB
- Business analysis or project management
- Working with public and private RESTful APIs
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed