Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
Purpose of the role:
We're looking for a Technical Lead to work on the continued support and expansion of our genre leading family of Planet games, working with the Engineering Manager and other disciplines to deliver technical solutions.
This is an exciting opportunity to join development on a multi-million-selling multi-platform family of games, and to be involved at an early stage with interesting new content, taking ownership of technical direction. Your passion for technical excellence will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games. This position doesn't have explicit direct line management responsibility, leaving you to focus on providing technical direction for a team of talented people.
- Be involved with planning technical architecture for new content.
- Help identifying technical issues in planned or existing code and either address these or delegate to suitable members of the team.
- Take the lead in ensuring suitable performance across all platforms, including PC, previous-generation and current-generation consoles, and help other programmers with optimisation.
- Assist other teams in sticking to memory budgets and develop tools to ensure budgets are clear to content creators; construct memory budgets for future projects.
- Liaise with the production team on technical tasks, including working out timescales and communicating risks.
- Collaborate with our Shared Technology Group team on requests for features to be added to our in-house Cobra engine, and coordinate taking new engine releases.
- Undertake technical mentoring, evaluation and feedback to support the development of programming skills for junior programmers on the team, on both an ad-hoc and formal basis.
- Excellent C++ programming skills and experience with its use in a large codebase.
- Previous senior level experience working on shipped titles.
- Experience working with console development (ideally PS4/5, XB1/S).
- Excellent optimisation, debugging and problem solving skills.
- Experience working with performance and memory requirements.
- Experience in technical leadership and directing the work of others.
- Knowledge of SVN, including branching and merging of complex projects.
- Experience with programming in Lua.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed