Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We are looking for a Full/Senior Technical Artist with experience in pipeline and performance specifically in the genre of racing games. It will be your responsibility to use the knowledge gained from your time within the genre to help both iteratively develop the existing approaches and propose new techniques to meet the technical and visual challenges of delivering a ground-breaking experience. You’ll be working with content creators and programmers to deliver this and it’s key you’re able to build good working relationships between diverse departments.
The role is highly autonomous and we want candidates with a voice, we’ll be counting on your skills experience and knowledge. We’re looking for people with the passion to deliver results that back up the calibre of titles we work on. This is one of the key roles within our team and we’re looking for candidates whose aspirations match. If you believe you have the skills and passion for this role we would love to hear from you!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Be the main point of contact for Technical Art within the project.
- Liaise between the project team and core teams within the studio.
- Create and maintain processes and guidelines that are easily usable by the developers across multiple teams.
- Take responsibility for the technical implementation of artwork, visuals and assets.
- Use your expertise to suggest improvements and simplify processes where possible.
- Work with The Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Render Lead and Tools Lead to effectively develop the correct solution to issues.
- Make hard choices and compromises based on technical constraints, looking for effective solutions for the wider team.
- Be able to espouse direction and workflows to different teams with differing constraints.
- Proven track record of delivering complex technical challenges
- Highly collaborative
- Ability to take a holistic view of issues
- Comfortable with feedback
- Technical Art skills, including:
- Python development
- Maya experience
- Asset management
- Content creation best practises
- Solid understanding of modern game engines
- Experience in the games industry
- Strategic experience—planning, pipeline improvements, asset management, risk assessment
- Leadership experience—mentoring/leading more junior members of the team
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed