Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
Purpose of the role
The exciting growth of our studio and portfolio of games has resulted in the need to expand our in-house legal team. We’re looking for a motivated Senior Legal Counsel to join our team in supporting and advising all aspects of the business. This is a fantastic role for a mid-level solicitor looking to join an in-house team in a fun and dynamic sector covering a wide variety of work. Reporting to the General Counsel, this position will work closely with the development and publishing and wider business teams to advise on legal, regulatory and compliance issues across a broad range of contracts, agreements and intellectual property matters.
- Provide legal advice on all aspects of commercial law including commercial contracts, IP, data protection, marketing, compliance and licensing, to manage risk and facilitate effective business operations.
- Undertaking contract reviews, drafting and negotiating new contracts (both from sales and procurement perspective) and advising on all contractual issues.
- Advising on copyright matters including risk-based copyright clearances and content licence agreements covering opensource terms, font licences, software licences, image and audio licences.
- Advising on and negotiating talent agreements, including SAG-AFTRA riders and non-union contracts.
- Negotiating music licensing agreements.
- Providing legal and transactional support on any growth initiatives.
- Supporting our compliance projects and delivering training.
- Advising on consumer law matters with a particular focus on issues around game EULAs and platform service terms.
- Interpreting legal requirements and providing general, ad hoc legal advice on day to day basis.
- Work proactively to update and create contract templates, and review and update existing IP and other policies and procedures. Provide training where necessary.
- Supporting junior team members of team to develop drafting and negotiating skills.
- Keep up to date on the video game industry and the legal issues surrounding it.
- Be an England & Wales qualified solicitor with around 5-8 PQE with an excellent understanding of general commercial and IP law, with proven experience in a similar role either in-house or in private practice.
- Previous experience advising on copyright matters and clearances is essential.
- Strong experience in drafting and negotiating of commercial agreements and frameworks and Partner licence agreements.
- Experience in any of music licensing, talent agreements, marketing agreements and CAP code are all useful.
- A team player with good stakeholder management and engagement skills and a pragmatic approach in supporting contract owners to deliver on business objectives whilst driving value and managing risk effectively.
- Be able to work pro-actively.
- Have strong IT skills, including proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite including Sharepoint.
- Highly organised and able to work under pressure, prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Previous games industry experience desirable but by no means essential.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed