Job Title:Principal Environment Artist
Founded in 2002, Infinity Ward is the original studio behind the Call of Duty® franchise. The titles developed by Infinity Ward have won more than 200 "Game of the Year" awards and 100 "Editor's Choice" awards, among many other industry accolades. Some of our previous titles include: Call of Duty®: Ghosts, Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare and most recently, Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare. Infinity Ward employs more than 250 people in Woodland Hills, Calif., just outside of Los Angeles.
A critically acclaimed studio, Infinity Ward is proud to have one of the most passionate and talented development teams in the industry. We love to have as much fun as the games we create, and it shows in our relaxed, yet diligent, workplace environment. We believe that making the best games relies on having the best people, so we like to look after ours. We enjoy having fun with top-notch events that everyone gets involved with.
Infinity Ward is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at https://www.infinityward.com/, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InfinityWard/, and @InfinityWard on Twitter.
As a Principal Environment Artist at Infinity Ward, you are a proven expert in your craft with a portfolio depicting a range of examples on multiple released titles over the years. You will be responsible for creating the most exemplary artwork. Lifting the entire discipline’s creative ability through leading by example. As a Principal artist at Infinity Ward, you will establish standards, bring the team’s attention to best practices, and ensure quality of execution is consistently high.
You will work closely with Production, Leads, and Directors with planning; establishing or improving pipelines, identifying potential roadblocks and highlighting any tech or support needed for success.
You are an ambassador for your craft and are able to work closely with the Leads, Directors and departmental counterparts. Not only within the studio of Infinity Ward but fostering relationships across multiple Activison studios as well.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Demonstrate a mastery of the creative process: You have a passion for creative problem solving and have the technical know how to find answers to development challenges.
- Illustrate a mastery of industry standard 3D software; Max, Maya, Substance, Blender, photoshop, World Machine, etc. Experience with a range of software suites, and ability to assess what software will benefit a specific pipeline or project.
- Own and spear head pipeline initiatives across multiple facets of environment art. Modular construction, Terrain Biomes, asset pipelines.
- Ability to document best practices and a comfort level with mentoring, creating videos and general teaching of specific crafts, techniques, tools or processes as it relates to environment art.
- Ability to evaluate skillsets across the team, identify where additional training programs may be needed. Foster a positive productive culture of learning and honing one’s skill set to exceed at your craft.
- Works closely with the Tools, Engine, and Tech art counterparts to develop new workflows or improve upon existing tools and technologies to streamline team efficiency.
- 8+ years industry experience in AAA content creation
- 1 shipped AAA title in the Principal Role
Knowledge & Skills
- Expert understanding of Physically Based Rendering (PBR) workflow
- Strong foundational Art skills. Understanding of composition, form, color theory and light in relation to Environment Art.
- Proficient in the asset pipeline. High poly Modeling, sculpting, texturing
- Familiar with and proficient in modern level editor workflows. Similar to UE4, Unity, etc.
- Experience with Terrain editors and proficient in Biome creation. Driving the vision of biomes. Establishing Biome rule sets and collaborating with multiple disciplines to see biomes come to fruition.
- Self-motivated, independent, and has proven ability to self-manage and meet deadlines
- Takes Direction Well, Comfortable giving clear concise direction
- Willingness to improve and learn new skills
- Able to work under pressure and meet production deadlines
- Photogrammetry experience a +
- First Person Shooter experience a +
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
Activision Blizzard is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed