Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
As Lead Foliage Artist, you will have the chance to spearhead a team responsible for the creation of high-quality in-game foliage assets. As an expert in your field, you will apply your extensive professional experience to the creation of assets that meet our high benchmark quality as well as investing in the growth and development of your team.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Maintaining and pushing the quality bar for our in-game foliage art
- The growth and mentorship of a team of foliage artists that can work across several games
- Staying ahead of any developments in your area of expertise and propagating this research into our new titles
- Creating and/or modifying in-game foliage assets within a given timeframe and budget
- Collaborating with the art team both internally and externally, acting positively on Art Direction and feedback, to complete the work to a high quality and required art style
- Understanding and accommodating the context of the asset - how it needs to be set up and its gameplay potential
- Professional experience at a high level as a foliage artist
- A good team player, willing to work collaboratively, giving and receiving feedback constructively and professionally
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting and colour
- Ability to work within an established art style
- Excellent Speedtree modelling skills.
- Strong 3D organic modelling skills, preferably in Maya and Zbrush
- Familiarity with Substance Painter and Photoshop texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Familiarity with the entire game asset creation pipeline: high-poly sculpting, retopology, UV mapping, texture baking, texture painting, setting up and exporting to game
- Experience with PBR pipeline and real-time engines
- Understanding of best working practices in terms of LOD creation and optimisation
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed