Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
Frontier are looking for talented Graduate Visual Effects Artist with evident skill and clear potential to grow in VFX. We’re looking for people with a passion for particles and beyond! The role of a VFX artist at Frontier is multi-faceted, requiring artists with solid visual skills as well as a keen understanding of motion.
- Work with the VFX team to plan and deliver high quality realistic/stylised particle effects.
- Work with the art and design team on all visual effect aspects of game development including in regard to game play specific tasks.
- Demonstrate creativity and technical ability, while ensuring VFX are efficient and in budget.
- A Visual Effects reel to show off your work.
- Proactive and inquisitive mind to find the best possible results.
- Attention to detail is crucial, backed up by a solid understanding of real time game engines and particle systems.
- A passion for perfection and a pragmatic approach as well as a mind-set that encompasses both the aesthetic and motion based aspects for the role.
- An understanding of how to create effects which are efficient and well balanced.
- Strong knowledge of particle systems in the games industry.
- The observation skills to create authentic, believable motion for the most dynamic VFX.
- Knowledge of the range of visual techniques employed in delivering high quality effects in modern games.
- Keen understanding of memory and performance pitfalls as well as techniques and tricks a VFX Artist can employ to avoid them.
- Knowledge of Maya, Fume, Photoshop, After Effects, Houdini or other industry standard software.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed